Date: Wednesday, 1.6.2022 (Arrival until 7 p.m. CET) – Saturday, 4.6.2022 (Farewell at 1 p.m. CET)
Venue: Graz University of Technology, Rechbauerstrasse 12, 8010 Graz (AUT)
This 3rd EurOMA CEE Research Network Workshop is organised and hosted by
- Bernd Markus Zunk, Graz University of Technology (AUT)
- Amila Omazic, Graz University of Technology (AUT)
in co-operation with (in alphabetical order)
- Marco Formentini, University of Trentino (ITA)
- George Onofrei, Letterkenny Institute of Technology Ireland (IRE)
- Iztok Palcic, University of Maribor (SLO)
- Jasna Prester, University of Zagreb (CRO)
3rd EurOMA CEE Research Network Workshop Topic
“Shaping successful research proposals at the intersection of Innovation – Digitalisation – Sustainability”
First, the initiative will feature a face-to-face workshop event, i.e. the 3rd EurOMA CEE Research Network Workshop (note: in accordance with the Covid-19 regulations in force at that time), which brings together enthusiastic OM and/or IEM researchers (e. g. instructors, lecturers, researchers at all levels, PhD students, postdocs, professors) and practitioners from the CEE region (as well as all other European countries). This workshop will be moderated by Graz University of Technology (TU Graz) as the host organization and supported by research funding experts from the Research & Technology Department of Graz University of Technology. This event will help participants to
- get an overview of current calls for proposals and research funding programmes at EU level presented by experts in the field of competitive research funding.
- generate research ideas for potential OM/IEM research funding projects/proposals.
- form research teams (focusing on a specific idea/topic developed in the workshop).
- develop research ideas into precise concepts which ultimately resulting e. g. in a declaration of intent accepted by all research team members (note: to ensure sustainability after the workshop and to continue work on the projects back home.)
- prepare a competitive research proposal “ready for submission” to a research funding institution (e. g. on EU level).
- learn from the experience of a project group that successfully submitted a competitive EU project (http://eu-periscope.essca.fr/).
Second, the workshop participants are invited to initially present their research proposal ideas and concepts at the 15th EPIEM Conference. This provides workshops participants immediately and promptly the great opportunity to
- receive qualitative feedback on their newly-developed collaborative research projects,
- challenge their research concept at an early stage of the development and,
- create and initiate (associated) partnerships with, e.g. researcher and practitioners from the IEM network.
Third, the 3rd EurOMA CEE Research Network Workshop participants are also invited to submit a conference paper to the 15th EPIEM Conference. This is an additional opportunity for the workshop participants to
- present their latest research (note: as the 3rd EurOMA CEE research network workshop will be an integrative part of the 15th EPIEM conference program and therefore free from additional costs!),
- publish in the EPIEM Conference proceedings (free of charge) and to
- extend their network by meeting members (researchers and practitioners) from the European and German-speaking IEM community.
Important note: If you register for the 3rd EurOMA CEE Research Network Workshop you are automatically registered as participant for the 15th EPIEM conference and vice versa. BUT if you may also want to submit a research paper to the 15th EPIEM Conference – to which you are cordially invited – you may find more information HERE).
Registration for the 3rd EurOMA CEE Research Network Workshop:
- Registration is open from now until Mai 4th 2022.
- The number of on-site workshop participants is limited to the max. of 40 persons.
- The „first registration – first serve“ principle will be applied, as long as the participants fit into the target group (Note: Preference will be given to applications from the CEE region. Of course, registrations from other regions are also possible!).
- The workshop fee (incl. all coffee and lunch breaks during the workshop as well as the welcome reception on the 2.6.2022, the gala dinner on the 3.6.2022 and the historic city tour on the 4.6.2022) is 95 Euro per person.
- Registration is only valid if the workshop fee has been transferred to the account indicated in the registration link by 4th of Mai 2022. A refund in case of non-participation is not possible. We kindly ask for your understanding. The invoice for the workshop fee will be handed over to you on site in Graz.
- Please register HERE.
Remarks regarding traveling and accommodation:
- Covid-19: Please keep yourself informed in this regard and observe the Covid-19 regulations applicable in each case! We currently (as of January 2022) assume that at Graz University of Technology the 2G regulation (fully vaccinated or recovered) AND a FFP 2 mask obligation must be observed when conducting the workshop and the 15th EPIEM Conference. Important & up-to-date information on travelling to Austria in COVID-19 times you may find here: https://www.oesterreich.gv.at/en/themen/coronavirus_in_oesterreich/pre-travel-clearance.html
- Arrival in Graz: It is strongly recommended to arrive on the 1st of June as the workshop starts already early on the 2nd of June 2022.
- Travelling: You can reach Graz pleasantly either directly by plane (https://www.flughafen-graz.at/en/home.html depending on your departure airport/airline) or via Vienna International Airport (https://www.viennaairport.com/en/passengers) from where there is a direct train connection (note: takes you approx. 3 hours) to Graz (Details via https://www.oebb.at/en/).
- Hotel recommendations: We arranged special prices for our guests in the hotels listed below (Attention: Limited contingent and ONLY valid for bookings until the 3rd of May 2022. Furthermore, the “first come – first serve” principle will be applied! To benefit from the special conditions, please mention the code word “IEM22” when booking and mention that you are attending a conference/workshop at TU Graz.):
Detailed Program:* (Preliminary as of February 2022)
Please note: The times given below refer to CET.
Wednesday, 1st of June 2022: Arriving in Graz.
7.00 p.m. Welcome! Casual meeting at “Kaiser-Josef-Market” in the city centre of Graz. (https://www.graztourismus.at/en/see-and-do/sightseeing/sights/kaiser-josef-market_sh-1245)
Thursday, 2nd of June 2022:
8.00 a.m. to 8.30 a.m. Arrival. Finding your way around @ TU Graz
8.30 a.m. to 8.45 a.m. Good morning! Welcome to the Workshop: Greetings from the rectorate (Vice Rector Prof. Stefan Vorbach, Graz University of Technology). Introduction and setup of the Workshop.
8.45 a.m. to 10.00 a.m. EU Funding Schemes / Programs / Ways to get your research funded on a EU Level (Research & Technology Department TU Graz & Dr. Imre Gombkötő, University of Miskolc, Hungary) incl. Q&A
10.00 a.m. to 10.30 a.m. Coffee break 30 min.
10.30 a.m. to 12.00 a.m. Short presentation of the workshop participants research ideas in the OM/IEM field (in form of a “Project Elevator Pitch”*) which are related to the intersection between “Innovation – Sustainability – Digitalisation” (note: please submit your short presentation in ppt format by 10th of May 2022 via email to bernd.zunk[at]tugraz.at).
*The “Project Elevator Pitch” of the research idea (note: which should be an 5-8 minute short presentation consisting of max. 3-5 ppt slides) should be prepared by each participant prior to the 3rd EurOMA CEE Research Network Workshop. This “Project Elevator Pitch” should consist of the following four parts: (1) topic/idea/work title, (2) background and relevance (in industry and academia) of the OM/IEM topic in the EU context, (3) guiding research question and intended outcome(s), and (4) an answer to the “technical”/”formal” question(s): what kind of academic partners are you looking for? and/or: what complementary competences would you integrate in your future research project? etc.
12.00 a.m. to 1.15 p.m. Lunch break @ TU Graz and create your “personal research connection”
1.15 p.m. to 1.30 p.m. Teaming-up in “5-6 EurOMA/EPIEM research proposal writing teams” (which are moderated by topic leaders e. g. from the EurOMA/EPIEM network)
1.30 p.m. to 3.15 p.m. Session 1: Forming the team, discussion & agreement on one precise topic per team; coming up with the narrative; design and write an abstract
3.15 p.m. to 3.45 p.m. Coffee break 30 min.
3.45 p.m. to 5.45 p.m. Session 2: Finalizing a “One Pager” and a 15 min. presentation of the regarding research proposal that should be presented on the 3rd of June during the 15th EPIEM Conference in order to challenge the idea, open doors for collaborators and new ideas
5.45 p.m. – 7.00 p.m. Chill out in the City of Graz with our local (student) guides
7.00 p.m. – open. Welcome reception @ “Grazer Burg – Weisser Saal” (Official invitation of the Governor of Styria. Dress code recommendation: Business casual to elegant, as the welcome reception will be held in an elegant atmosphere): Meet academics and practitioners of the “European OM & IEM Family” together with Austrian Association of Industrial Engineering and Management (Note: Please be very punctual)!
Friday, 3rd of June 2022:
8.30 a.m. to 8.45 a.m. Warm-up: Connecting the PERISCOPE Group to the EurOMA research network group as well as to the participants of the 15th EPIEM Conference (voluntarily)
8.45 a.m. to 9.00 a.m. The best-practice example “EU Project PERISCOPE”: Connecting the Workshop Participants to the PERISCOPE Multiplier Event (Presentation of a successful funded EU Project)
9.00 a.m. to 9.50 a.m. PERISCOPE Part 1 – Introduction: Idea, Concept, Process, Plan, Do`s & Don’ts
9.50 a.m. to 10.40 a.m. PERISCOPE Part 2 – Content & Deliverables
10.40 a.m. to 11.00 a.m. Coffee break 30 min.
11.00 a.m. to 12.15 a.m. ”PERISCOPE“ keynote speech(es) from academia and/or industry (to point out the importance of considering the “relevance concept” in research proposals
12.15 a.m. to 1.00 p.m. Lunch break @ TU Graz together with the Austrian Association of Industrial Engineering and Management (WING)
1.00 p.m. to 1.15 p.m. EPIEM Conference: Official welcome speech (Vice Rector Prof. Vorbach, Graz University of Technology and and Prof. Bernd M. Zunk, President of EPIEM)
1.15 p.m. to 2.00 p.m. Key note speeches: IEM – Paths in research and teaching to the future: Which path should we take? (Prof. Joseph Sarkis, Professor of Management within Worcester Polytechnic Institute’s Business School, USA and Dr. Javier Retegi Albisua, Department of Mechanical Engineering and Industrial Production, Mondragon University, Spain)
2.00 p.m. to 3.00 p.m. EPIEM Conference Session 1: Challenging the 5-6 EU Proposals of the EurOMA Workshop: Looking for feedback, further project-related ideas, potential associated project partners
3.00 p.m. to 3.30 p.m. Coffee break 30 min.
3.30 p.m. to 5.30 p.m. EPIEM Conference (parallel) Session 2 (optional splitted up)
5.30 p.m. to 5.45 p.m. EPIEM Conference and EurOMA Research Network Workshop closing incl. group photo in front of TU Graz
5.45 p.m. to 7.00 p.m. Time to get prepared for the Gala Dinner @ “Schloßberg Graz” (Note: Dress code recommendation: Business casual to elegant, as the dinner will be held in an elegant and relaxed atmosphere)
7.15 p.m. – open end. Final networking and Gala Dinner @ “Schloßberg Graz”; open for all participants of the 3rd EurOMA CEE Research Network Workshop and the 15th EPIEM Conference incl. ESTIEM, IEM Caring Foundation members as well as all participants of the PERSICOPE Multiplier event
Saturday, 4th of June 2022:
10.00 a.m. Historic city tour in Graz (Note: Meeting point in front of the town hall on the main square in the city centre of Graz; please be very punctual!)
1.00 p.m. Official farewell